A Candy Shop, Some Ice Cream, Soda, and an Ebay Auction

 HowlSpace Quest 14: Colonial Parchment Up for Auction – {Interface}: You have received a new message from Russel Spectre.

Russel Spectre: Hi, again. I heard that your arrest warrant was just lifted, and I wanted to congratulate you on not being caught…at least, you weren’t caught, right? {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

·         {Option 1} I don’t think so?

·         {Option 2} Not at all. Have you found anything else on Clint-Lee Muir?

Russel Spectre: {Option 1} Okay. That’s good…I guess? Anyway, I need your help on something that just came up right now. {Go to Next Guest Options}

Russel Spectre: {Option 2} That’s good to hear. Anyway, to answer your question, not exactly. I need your help on something that just came up right now. {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} What is it?

Russel Spectre: {Option 1} A marriage certificate with Clint’s name on it turned up on Ebay about a week ago. According to the seller, the document lists him as having married a Jennifield Wrenfold in 1818, just one year before he disappeared. Does that name mean anything to you? {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} That’s the name of the ghost that haunts Bubba’s Garden Restaurant.

Russel Spectre: {Option 1} It is? I think we may have stumbled on something, but I have some bad news…the item already sold. But the good news is that the buyer lives in Howling Hollow. And the package supposedly arrived yesterday. {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} Great! So, who bought it?

Russel Spectre: {Option 1} Long and short answer: I don’t know. The buyer’s account name goes by “flavor_made_1019” and the shipping address is the fulfilment center at LycanWorks. But, based on that username, there are four establishments where it could have been sent. Head to the candy shop in downtown and I’ll get back to you then. {Go to Objective Screen}

Objective Screen {from Option 1}: Go to Ghoul Eats Sweet Treats.

This candy store looks like it would very well sell Halloween candy all year…and they do. On top of the Halloween staples of candy corn, caramel apples, candy skulls, and tiny candy bars that everyone gives out on Halloween night but no one likes, Ghoul Eats Sweet Treats also sells classic candy bars, haunting lollypops, assorted treats, desserts from the owner’s home country of Madagascar, and more. Their signature feature is the treat creation station, where shoppers can build their own treats from the assorted options available. While unassuming on the outside, the inside infuses a pastel candy store with traditional Madagascar art and architecture, which proprietor Baa Lak Creame is more than happy to talk to the tourists about.

{Guest} enters Ghoul Eats Sweet Treats and confirms.

Russel Spectre: So, my thought is that a buyer with the username “flavor_made_1019” has to be running a business that focuses on food. Since that barbecue in town is more of a gathering and not a business, that narrowed my choices to the candy shop you’re in right now, the ice cream parlor around the corner, Bubba’s Garden Restaurant, or the drink stand outside of the Chamber of Commerce. I would say to get in touch with the owners of each establishment and see if you can take a look at the marriage certificate.

Costume Design for Ghoul Eats Sweet Treats. Oh, boy. Where do I begin here? Originally, this storefront was just going to be a candy store, but when I decided to infuse the store with Baa Lak Creame's personality, I decided to give the store a mix of a candy shop and Madagascar culture (since Baa Lak Creame is from there). Because of this, I had to walk a tightrope between what's practical and associated with soda fountains and what's respectful to Madagascar culture. In my research, I looked for where the two styles could be realistically merged, including the use of color and the height of the skirt for the female costume. Ultimately, I settled on this design, which takes the common abstract patterns of Madagascar textiles and uses it for the necessary apron. In the end, I think I was able to capture a good balance between the two styles that stays true to Howling Hollow.

{Interface}: You have received a new message from Baa Lak Creame.

Baa Lak Creame: Hello! It’s so wonderful seeing these curious tourists peering at my hand-made confections! Is there anything that you want to try? {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} Who are you?

·         {Option 2} What are you selling?

·         {Option 3} Are you offering samples?

·         {Option 4} I heard that someone in town purchased an old marriage certificate. Would you happen to know anything about that?

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 1} I am Baa Lak Creame, the fluffiest Fotsianondre you’ll ever meet. I’m almost as fluffy as my cotton candy!

Wait. You don’t know what a Fotsianondre is? If you don’t know, we’re monsters…well, monster isn’t really the right word…but we’re from Madagascar. Some people think we’re just sheep people or were-sheep, but I can assure you that we are absolutely our own species. {Return to Guest Options}

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 2} Only the most diverse and sweetest candy in all of Howling Hollow! In fact, sharing traditional sweets is what brought me the U.S. in the first place, since I think that Madagascar culture too often gets overlooked. You can never have too many pastries from my home country! {Return to Guest Options}

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 3} Yes! I’m sending you a QR code right now. With this code, you’ll be able to redeem it at the counter for one of my delicious Malagasy Sweet Cakes! {Display QR code} {Return to Guest Options}

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 4} Oh. An old marriage certificate was bought by someone around here? I can’t say that I’ve heard about that one. But, if anyone around here would want something like that, I would think that Zella Wundre down at the ice cream shop would probably buy something like that. {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} So, I’m guessing you didn’t buy it?

·         {Option 2} Anything else that I should know?

·         {Option 3} Thank you. Have a great day.

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 1} Oh, no. I’m not one for antiques, unless they’re from my home country. {Return to Guest Options}

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 2} Well, if you’re wanting to find out more about this certificate, I think that you should continue to talk around. Go talk to Zella first, but don’t forget to also stop by the Chamber of Commerce. They might be able to help you. {Return to Guest Options}

Baa Lak Creame: {Option 3} You as well! Have a lovely day, and don’t forget to pick up some treats on your way out! {Go to Objective Screen}

Objective Screen {from Option 3}: Go to Fortune Foretold Frosted Favors.

Interior of Fortune Foretold Frosted Flavors. For the look of the shop's interior, I wanted to capture the feel of the inside of a Romani wagon, while still feeling like an ice cream shop. One thing that kept catching my eye during my research was the extensive ornamentation that the Romani people use to decorate their living spaces, so I looked to replicate that here. Even the ceiling is sloped to look like the roof of a Romani wagon! Note that the blue strip on the ceiling is not a sky light. That's some recessed lighting to brighten up the interior.

Enter this mystical ice cream shop where the flavors of ice cream you choose will foretell your future. The banjo-playing fortune teller Zella Wundre will use ice cream-themed tarot cards to tell the future as your server prepares your treat in a variety of styles. Choose from one to three scoops in either a cup or cone, or try one of the shop’s signature tarot card ice cream bars. While you wait for your order, enjoy the shop’s eclectic arrangement of Romani jewelry and furnishings.

{Guest} enters Fortune Foretold Frosted Favors and confirms.

{Interface}: You have received a new message from Zella Wundre.

Zella Wundre: Hello, traveler. I foresaw that you were going to stop by today, so I have your favorite flavor of ice cream ready to serve. {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} Who are you?

·         {Option 2} What are you selling?

·         {Option 3} You knew I was coming? What are you? Some Gypsy?

·        {Option 4} I heard that someone in town purchased an old marriage certificate. Would you happen to know anything about that?

Zella Wundre: {Option 1} Pardon myself, {Guest}. I am Zella Wundre, the banjo-playing, fortune-telling, ice cream-serving Romani. I came to this country to give my life new opportunity, but I was also paid by your government to use my herd of goats to clear out that weed…what do you Americans call it?... Kudzu. {Return to Guest Options}

Zella Wundre: {Option 2} Goat milk ice cream, using the finest Romani churning practices. True, I have had to tweak a few things to fit the…less refined palette of the residents of this town, but the recipe is still very close to original. {Return to Guest Options}

Zella Wundre: {Option 3} NO! NO! I AM NOT A GYPSY! Simply typing that word makes my blood boil! I AM ROMANI AND ROMANI ONLY! Never, ever use that word ever again, or I will have to ask you to leave my shop! Thankfully, I already know that you won’t use it again, so is there anything else that I can help you with? {Return to Guest Options}

Zella Wundre: {Option 4} Hmm. I have not heard about such a purchase. I can’t say that I was the one who purchased it, unless it was a Romani certificate, but I did hear something about a recent purchase made by Edmund Éclair. {Go to Next Guest Options}

Costume Design for Fortune Foretold Frosted Flavors. After conducting extensive research into Romani apparel, I settled on these ornate yet practical outfits. Because the restaurant's interior is mostly neutral colors, I wanted something that would pop against the browns, yellows, and golds of the front counter, making the employees stand out. For the record, the original clothing does not feature aprons, but the nature of this role necessitated their inclusion here.

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1}  So, I’m guessing you didn’t buy it?

·         {Option 2} Anything else that I should know?

·         {Option 3} Thank you. Have a great day.

Zella Wundre: {Option 1} Of course not. I feel a much stronger connection to my heritage than this town, if I must be honest, so I would be more inclined to buy myself gold ornaments for my home. {Return to Guest Options}

Zella Wundre: {Option 2} If you want to talk to Edmund Éclair to see if he bought this document, just be warned that he’s more interested in selling you his joke medicines. He says that his elixirs can cure spiny headaches, but they all taste like soda to me. {Return to Guest Options}

Zella Wundre: {Option 3} Not to worry. You’ll have safe travels. I can already tell. {Go to Objective Screen}

Objective Screen {from Option 3}: Go to The Enticing and Exciting Elixirs of Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire!

Founded by a fellow originally named Eddie Elbow, The Enticing and Exciting Elixirs of Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire! is a modern-day medicine show, complete with a stage for Edmund to hawk his snake oil and try to get the tourists to buy. No one but Edmund knows why he specifically chose to stage a medicine show to con the tourists out of their money, but sales began pouring in when word spread that his miracle cures are just rebottled soda, and everyone decided that they needed a refreshing soft drink on a hot and humid day. To this day, Edmund Éclair has yet to cure anything other than a parched throat, but his loyal customers don't mind in the least.

{Guest} approaches The Enticing and Exciting Elixirs of Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire! and confirms.

{Interface}: You have received a new message from Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire.

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: Salutations, traveler! Are you aching? Breaking? Caught up in those ghostly apparitions from earlier today? I’ve got miracle cures for them all! {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} Who are you?

·         {Option 2} What are you selling?

·         {Option 3} What kinds of miracle cures?

·         {Option 4} I heard that someone in town purchased an old marriage certificate. Would you happen to know anything about that?

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 1} Only the one and only, the stupendous, the sensational, the amazing, the brilliant, the exciting and enticing Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire! {Return to Guest Options}

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 2} Only the finest miracle cures that your money can buy in this here town. Do you have hairy insanity? Try my original elixir and it will all melt away like the morning Sprite…uh, I mean dew! {Return to Guest Options}

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 3} Everything and anything! See this bubbling dark brew? Just one sip, and you’re guaranteed to feel that much smarter! This tangy orange elixir will make your throat sparkle! This yellow frozen soft serve, er, frozen medicine will cure anything from a rash to heat stroke! What is your ailment? {Return to Guest Options}

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 4} Now why would I want something like that? Most folks around here say that marriage is love’s sweet song, but I just see it as a way to sell of my patented love potion. It’s electrolytes…oh, uh, electro-LOVES will make your heartbeat faster and make you want to run to the love of your life forever! {Go to Next Guest Options}

The Enticing and Exciting Elixirs of Edmund Eclair the Eighth, Esquire! Costume Design. This was a difficult balance to achieve. On the one hand, I needed to embellish the land general costume so that it could look like a realistic used car salesman outfit. On the other hand, these costumes could not overshadow the lavish outfit that Edmund Eclair wears, since he spends most of his time at the cart. The solution that I reached was to simply use a lavish plaid waistcoat that goes over the general costume, with outlandish suspenders and a bowler hat as optional additions.

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} So, I’m guessing you didn’t buy it?

·         {Option 2} Anything else that I should know?

·         {Option 3} Thank you. Have a great day.

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 1} No, not at all. Really, that’s something that belongs in the Chamber of Commerce, but I think that restaurant over yonder might have bought it. {Return to Guest Options}

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 2} Well, if you’re feeling blue and didn’t like the answer I gave you, try the Blue Fanta…stical Mood Bloomer! You’re guaranteed to be 310% happier! {Return to Guest Options}

Edmund Éclair the Eighth, Esquire: {Option 3} You as well. But remember that if you ever feel down or hurt, you know where to find me! {Go to Objective Screen}

Objective Screen {from Option 3}: Go to Bubba’s Garden Restaurant.

This fine dining restaurant is built into an old Antebellum plantation house that has since been overtaken by cobwebs, kudzu (the non-mutated type), and the ghost of Jennifield Wrenfold, the home’s original owner. The dining areas and kitchen are fairly well kept-up, but no one, not even the staff, dares to go upstairs, which is saying something, considering that their head chef is Dracula. The food selection, while reportedly cooked rare unless requested otherwise, is fairly extensive, serving up a supernatural barbecue flair with dishes like mummy-wrapped steak sirloin, southern Gothic-fried pork, fang bite burger, swamp spaghetti pesto, chili kelp wrap, howling fried chicken, pork belly spirit sliders, and much more. Children can expect to eat items like ghoul cheese sandwich, batty burger, tentacle tortellini, fang fruit salad, and other items. Alcoholic beverages include Witch’s Poison, Apple Cider Kick, Blood Red Wine, Ghostly Wail, Windmill Fire, Woodsville Wailing Moonshine, and others.

{Guest} approaches Bubba’s Garden Restaurant and confirms.

{Interface}: You have received a new message from Draco “Dracula” Yula.

Draco “Dracula” Yula: Greetings, esteemed guests. Are interested in a fine dinner? Don’t be alarmed. Our service doesn’t bite. {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} Who are you?

·         {Option 2} What are you selling?

·         {Option 3} How can I get a reservation?

·         {Option 4} I heard that someone in town purchased an old marriage certificate. Would you happen to know anything about that?

Draco “Dracula” Yula: {Option 1} I am…Dracula, head chef of this establishment. Are there any further questions that you may have? {Return to Guest Options}

Draco “Dracula” Yula: {Option 2} The best dinner service in town, served in the quaintly restored Plantation House on the edge of town. This place is quite steeped in history, even if that history has been lost to time. {Return to Guest Options}

Draco “Dracula” Yula: {Option 3} Check local bookings either through our partner app, our website, or over with our concierge. Walk-up availability may or may not be available, so I recommend booking in advance. {Return to Guest Options}

Draco “Dracula” Yula: {Option 4} Oh. Are you talking about the marriage certificate that I bought recently for the private dining room? The one connected to the ghost that haunts the building? {Go to Next Guest Options}

{Guest Options}:

{Option 1} I want to take a closer look at it.

Draco “Dracula” Yula: {Option 1} By all means. I currently have it hanging up in the main foyer. Just present this to the concierge so you can take a look without a reservation. {Go to Objective Screen}

Objective Screen {from Option 1}: Photograph the Marriage Certificate. {Show QR code}

NOTE: QR code is required by {guest} in order to enter Bubba’s Garden Restaurant without a dining reservation.

{Guest} activates Camera and photographs the Marriage Certificate. {Guest} confirms, which activates lights and sound in the foyer.

Jennifield Wrenfold: Begone with that wretched name! Clint-Lee is nothing to me!

Sound effects and animation play, causing the marriage certificate to shatter. {Go to Quest Screen}

Comments

Popular Posts